Adding content snippets
Who can use this feature
- Supported on Team and Enterprise plans
- Only admins can edit snippets. Team members can only view and use snippets.
What's in this article
- Using snippets
- Best practices
- Managing, organizing, and downloading snippets
- Sharing snippets
Got text you’re constantly retyping or copy/pasting into your emails, docs, or design files? Turn it into a snippet so you only have to type it once. Snippets are reusable pieces of text that you can create in Writer and insert wherever you’re writing.
To create a snippet, just add your reusable text in the snippets field and create a shortcut. By default, all snippets shortcuts start with a “w.” prefix. This is so you don’t accidentally insert snippets while writing normally. The best shortcuts are 🥁 short. Pick something topical and easy to remember, e.g., if it’s a boilerplate company mission, then pick “w.mission”.
1. Insert via shortcut
2. Insert by copying to your clipboard from the snippets tab
Head to the snippets tab in your suggestions sidebar. You’ll see all of your Team’s snippets. Just select a snippet to copy it to your clipboard. You can then paste it wherever you need it. The snippets tab exists in every Writer plugin and extension.
If you aren't sure how to begin building out your snippets, here are a few common use cases:
- Additional context around rules in your style guide: If your team has rules around using bold or italic text, creating a snippet makes it easy to bring up these guidelines wherever you're writing.
- Canned emails: If your team has frequently used emails, snippets can serve as templates to standardize and save time.
- Legal disclaimers
- Boilerplate text
- Mission statements
- Common error messages
Managing, organizing, and downloading snippets
Tags are a great way to keep snippets organized by team or use case.
Once your snippets are in Writer, it’s easy to build and publish a snippets list in just a few clicks with our style guide feature. Style guides can be password-protected, but don’t require a Writer seat to access them.
In your style guide page builder, select a snippets block . You can either publish all your snippets, or you can publish only specific tags.
Your published snippets will look like this. You’ll be able to filter by snippets tag or search for a specific one.
Q: Which Writer plugins and extensions support snippets?
We currently support snippets insertion via shortcuts on the following platforms:
- Chrome extension, on most websites
You can also copy snippets to your clipboard from the snippets tab in your sidebar, across all Writer apps and extensions.