Who can use this feature
- Supported on Pro, Team, and Enterprise plans
- Only admins can edit Suggestions. Team members can only view Suggestions.
What’s in this article
Intro to Suggestions
Suggestions work right out of the box, so all you have to do is start writing in the Writer Editor or install a Writer app. If Writer finds an error, you’ll see an underline or highlight on the flagged text and the correction in a card on hover.
Everything that comes out of Suggestions can be customized in Writer, including the basic checks.
Examples of popular Suggestion customizations:
- Use an Oxford comma (or not!)
- Always introduce acronyms when first mentioned
- Never use the 🤮 emoji
- Use sentence case for headlines and headers
- Avoid writing in passive voice
- Write times like 7PM and not 7 p.m.
- Use gender-inclusive nouns if possible – e.g., “police officer” and not “policeman”
- Avoid wordy phrases – e.g., say “Clearly, the report shows” instead of “It’s clearly evident that the report shows”
- Write confidently – e.g., write “We should meet next week” rather than “I think we should meet next week”
Sharing your Suggestions preferences
Once you’ve customized your Suggestions in Writer, you can share them in just a few clicks with Styleguide. This allows you to share your preferences with people outside of Writer.
You can find the report in Admin>Reporting.
Q: Under Clarity, which should I use: Writer Readability Level or Flesch-Kincaid?
0.39 x (words/sentences) + 11.8 x (syllables/words) - 15.59
Q: What’s included in your Inclusivity suggestions?
Resources on inclusive language:
Q: How do I change my spellcheck to UK/US English?
Q: What Suggestions are Included in my Plan?
✅ All Suggestions categories
All Suggestions categories except Compliance
Spelling, grammar, and punctuation only