Getting started: 5 steps
Learn the fundamentals of Writer with these short videos on the basics.
Teams that have transformed their writing have done these five things after setting up a Writer account. Some will take a few minutes and others a few hours — either way, the short videos below walk you through the fundamentals of each of the five key steps.
What's in this article
- Step 1. Install a plugin
- Step 2. Customize Suggestions
- Step 3. Add your Company Terms
- Step 4. Add Content Snippets
- Step 5. Setup and share your Styleguide
Step 1. Install a plugin
Go to Apps in the bottom left menu to find Writer’s plugins.
- For web-based applications (Gmail, Google Docs, WordPress, etc), select Writer for Chrome.
- For Microsoft Word, select Writer for Word.
- For Microsoft Outlook, select Writer for Outlook.
- For Figma, select Writer for Figma.
Step 2. Customize Suggestions
- Punctuation preferences
- Rules about introducing acronyms
- Date and number formatting
- Target grade/reading level
- Active versus passive voice
- Inclusive language
- Setting an English locale for spelling (US, UK, Canada, or Australia)
Go to Suggestions in the left menu to customize writing suggestions to your preferences.
Learn more about Suggestions with this deeper dive article and video
Step 3. Add your company Terms
Go to Terms in the left menu to set up your company terminology and word lists.
Learn more about Terms with this deeper dive article and video walkthrough.
Step 4. Add content Snippets
- Mission statements
- Marketing boilerplate
- Employee bios
- UX copy
- Disclaimer language
- Canned emails
- Any repeatable phrases or sentences that you want to write consistently
Step 5. Set up and share your Styleguide
When you update your Terms and Snippets, the content on these pages will automatically update your Styleguide.
Learn more about building a Styleguide with this deeper dive article and video