Who can use this feature
- Available on Team and Enterprise plans
What's in this article:
What are templates?
Have you ever thought it'd be easier to write if you had a first draft, instead of a blank page? Writer uses AI-powered templates to generate first drafts of common content types, including blog posts, product descriptions, email subject lines, and more. You can use our out-of-the-box templates, use our Ask Writer template to generate open-ended content, or submit a request for a custom template (Enterprise plans only).
How do I access and use templates?
Go to app.writer.com and select All templates from the Shortcuts menu at the top of the page.
All templates will reveal our entire searchable template library. Ask Writer, Blog builder and Recaps builder are our three most popular templates.
You can also open the templates library from within a document. Select Explore templates in the top navigation menu:
Select the template you’d like to use.
Fill out the required fields and select Generate content.
Draft content will appear in the document on the right panel and in a widget in the left panel under Drafts.
In the “All drafts” widget, you have the option to rate the draft and send feedback to the Writer team.
Select Generate content again if you'd like to generate another draft. You'll be able to review all drafts by scrolling down the left panel.
When you use a template to generate content, Writer automatically creates a draft document for you, which you can reopen any time:
Don't need your draft anymore? Click the ••• menu on the left side and select Delete.
You can also delete a draft when you're working in the draft:
Q: What is the source for Writer AI-generated content?
Q: How does Writer generate content?
If you're on an Enterprise plan, you can also elect to have Writer train a model specifically on your company’s content, to create drafts that more precisely capture your voice and content guidelines. Contact us for more information.
Q: Tell me even more about Writer's language models - let's get technical!
You can learn more about Writer's language models at our Developer site here.
Q: How can I tell if something I'm working on is a good candidate for generative AI?
- Longform content (A) based on general knowledge (e.g., content marketing blog), or (B) where you can provide a basic outline that covers the necessary knowledge (help article, FAQ, documentation)
- High-volume shortform content that can be creatively exhausting to produce (e.g., email subjects, blog titles, product descriptions, marketing emails)
- Existing longform content that you need to summarize or alter
Q: What templates are available out-of-the-box?
The following templates are available:
Q: Can I customize a template?
Yes, members of select Enterprise plans can request a custom template directly from the Templates menu. If you're on a plan that doesn't include custom templates, you can contact us for more information.
Q: I'm on a Team plan, and I've run into the words generated limit. How can I increase my allowance?
Words generated are offered as a per user allowance on Team plans. If you need a higher limit, you can add another user, up to 5 total. You can track your progress toward your monthly allowance in the admin menu.
- Your word count will reset at the start of each month of your plan. For example, if you first signed up on April 15, your words generated limit will reset on the 15th of each month.
- If you're interested in accessing generated content at a higher volume, contact our sales team to find out more about our Enterprise plans.