Using the Writer for Windows desktop app (BETA)
Who can use this feature
- Users enrolled in our Team and Enterprise plans.
- Users operating Windows 10 or Windows 11.
Generate content from Writer anywhere using our new Windows desktop app! Using our new app, you'll be able to brainstorm new content, escape writer's block, and generate fresh ideas for whatever you're working on, no matter where you're writing.
What's in this article:
Installing the desktop app
- Go to the Writer apps page.
- Select Install below Writer for Windows.
- Download the Writer installer .exe file.
- Double-click on the installer file.
- Select Install.
- The installer will display a progress bar during the installation process.
- Once installation is complete, select Launch Writer.
Logging in via the desktop app
- Select Get started.
- If you're not currently logged in to Writer, you will be prompted to log in first.
- If you're currently logged in to Writer, you'll see a consent form: This site is trying to open Writer Desktop App. Select Open.
- Once you're logged in, you'll see the Writer app home screen:
Using the Writer for Windows app
Using commands to generate content
When you're on a roll, the last thing you want to do is switch tabs! Now, you can generate content, break out of writer's block, or rewrite content, no matter where you're working, using our commands feature.
- Select Activate commands to open the commands menu.
- In the text field, simply type in a command to generate the exact content you need. (For more information about using commands in Writer, see here.)
Using starter ideas
Got writer's block? Starter ideas will help you get past the blank page stage, whether you're generating shortform content like a product description, or longform content like a blog post.
- From the main commands menu, select Starter ideas.
- Select an idea from the list, then fill in the rest of the command with your subject matter.
- Type enter to see your content generated.
Ask your Knowledge Graph a question
Are you part of our Knowledge Graph beta? If so, you can use the app to ask your Knowledge Graph a question. Simply select Ask your Knowledge Graph, enter a question, and Writer will generate an answer which you can insert into your work.
You can access your settings menu via the Settings button on the home screen, or via the commands window by by selecting the sliders icon, then selecting Settings.
Update your organization or team
If you belong to multiple Writer accounts or teams, you can switch between them via the Settings menu: