Writer has a new look and new navigation. The new experience is built around Teams. Documents, Styleguide settings, and user permissions are now all managed by Team.
- If your subscription has one Team, this guide is for you. The top menu when you log in will look like this:
- If you're on a subscription plan with more than one Team, your menu will have a Team toggle at the top left.
Go herefor the guide to Writer's new navigation with multiple Teams.
- Dashboard: the new homepage
- Editor: write, edit, and check your content
- Styleguide: view and edit your Suggestions settings, Terms, and Snippets
- Team: manage team members and roles
- Admin: manage account and billing settings
When you login, you'll see the new Dashboard.
The Dashboard offers quick access to:
1. The four documents that you have edited most recently.
2. A searchable index of all documents you have permission to access. You can sort the document list by last edited, last created, or alphabetical title.
3. Go to the edit view, starting at the last document you worked on.
4. Start working on a new document.
5. You can find the link to your published Portal here. Any user can access this link, but the settings to edit and update your Portal pages are now found under the Admin menu, which can only be accessed by admin users.
Admin settings and your user profile
6. The drop-down menu next to your initials will take you to your profile settings and the apps menu, which is where you can find links to download the
plugins. The gear icon will take you to the Admin menu, where you'll find Team management, Portal, Reporting, and Billing settings. Only admin users will be able to view or access the Admin menu.
To check content, use the Editor.
When you select Editor from the top menu, if you've never created a document before, you'll find a blank page. Select New to start a document.
If you have previously created a document, you'll see your documents listed by most recently edited. You can edit one of these documents, or you can create a new one by selecting New.
Or, you can go directly to a new document from the shortcut icon at the top right of the Dashboard.
When you create a new document, you'll then be able to write, edit, and score content in the Editor.
In the Editor view, you'll find:
1. Document information. You can edit the document title, which will be “Untitled Document” as the default. You can mark the document as a favorite, to make it easier to find later, by marking the star icon. And you can download or delete or delete the document from the 3 horizontal dots icon.
2. Content area. Write or copy-paste the content you want to check. You can write up to 10,000 words in one document.
3. Suggestions sidebar. Writer's suggestions will appear in the right sidebar, by suggestion category, along with the score.
4. Documents menu. You can search for other documents. You can also hide this menu and expand your editing space by selecting the square icon at the top right of the left menu.
Checking content in the Editor follows the same flow as before.
Writer's suggestions appear in the right sidebar, summarized by suggestion category. When you select an issue card (1), the issue in the card is highlighted in the document body (2).
You can: (A) select the suggestion in green to accept an edit, (B) select the trashcan icon to ignore the suggestion, (C) select the 3 horizontal dots to flag the suggestion as wrong. In the 3 dots drop-down menu, admin users will also have the option to add the flagged content to Terms.
You can also hover over an underlined issue to view an inline card, where you have the same options to (A) accept, (B) ignore, or (C) flag a suggestion as wrong, without needing to find the issue in the sidebar.
View and edit Suggestions, Terms, and Snippets in Styleguide
To find the settings and configuration for the suggestions Writer makes on your content, select Styleguide. All users can view these settings, but only admin users can update them.
When you select Styleguide, you'll open a sub-menu where you can access Suggestions, Terms, and Snippets. Suggestions is where you'll find the suggestions settings for each of the Styleguide categories. These settings have not been changed in this update.
Manage users from the Team menu
In the Team menu, you'll find the information for your team members. You can invite new people, remove a team member, and promote them to or unassign them from admin status. A team member user can view, edit, and check content in documents or with one of the
plugins. Team members can also view Styleguide settings. But only admin users can edit Styleguide or Admin settings, or invite new people.
Admin menu and settings
Admin users can select the gear icon at the top right of your menu bar to navigate to the Admin menu.
In the Teams section, you'll find the information for the Team, which includes the number of Team members, the number of snippets, and the number terms. The number of active users, suggestions accepted, and words checked are all for the last 30 days. If you'd like to create additional teams, you'll need to upgrade your subscription.
Next in the Admin menu, below Teams, you'll find Portal and Reporting. The functionality of Portal and Reporting are both unchanged.
In the Settings section of the Admin menu, you'll find the setting for Account and Billing. Account is where you can update your organization name. If you're on a Starter plan, Billing is where you can select an annual or monthly subscription plan, see your payment history, or cancel your plan. You can also contact our sales team to upgrade to one of our enterprise plans. If you're on an enterprise plan, you won't see Billing in this menu. Please contact your customer success manager if you have any billing questions.
Welcome to the new Writer!