How to use Writer in product & design
Who can use this feature
- Supported on Team and Enterprise plans
What's in this article:
- What is Writer and why should I care?
- How do I get started using Writer?
- The top 5 ways product and design teams use Writer
- The 7 steps of a Writer power user
What is Writer and why should I care?
- We integrate directly with Figma, making it easy to get real-time suggestions right where you're working.
- We’re already trained on your company’s brand, voice, and style guide. No more searching Slack to remember how you capitalize part of your product.
- We’re safe to use at work. We’re built for businesses, with all the security and privacy features that entails. We’re IT team approved!
- We keep humans in the driver’s seat when it matters. High-impact, creative work needs you — we’re just here to help you polish, edit, fact check, and scale your best work.
How do I get started using Writer?
Install the Figma app and other extensions
Writer plugs into the tools you’re already using to offer suggestions and corrections in real time. You’ll get instant help with:
- Grammar, spelling, and clarity
- adherence to your company’s style guide
- shortcuts for approved content you reuse over and over again
Rewrite your content — wherever you're working
Use templates to generate great first drafts
Check out the Learning Center to grow your expertise
The top 5 ways product and design teams use Writer
Use our Figma app to save time on content design
Writer allows your content designers to build a robust style guide including:
- a list of terms based on your approved product taxonomy
- pre-approved, reusable content components
- guidelines for inclusive language
Writer keeps track of the spelling, formatting, and usage of each of your products and features so you don't have to. We go beyond simple spelling and grammar checks to evaluate whether your writing is clear, consistent, inclusive, and aligned with the rest of your company. With the Figma app, you'll spend less time reviewing your work with content designers and more time designing.
Transform user research calls into action items
Spend less time writing up research call notes and more time putting what you've learned to use.
Our recaps template makes it easy to generate helpful takeaways from your research calls in seconds:
Use snippets to create banks of error messages, tooltips, guidelines, and more
Do you find yourself copy-pasting the same error messages, or hunting down the right URL over and over again? Snippets are reusable pieces of text that you can create in Writer and insert wherever you're writing. Product teams and designers use snippets to create libraries of:
- standard error messages
- commonly used tooltips
- instructions and internal guidelines
Transform technical documentation in seconds
- Our release notes template transforms ticket titles into neatly organized, shareable summaries
- Summarize lengthy research notes for takeaways, or summarize technical documentation to highlight key features and capabilities
- Create enablement resources for different audiences with our FAQ generator template. Paste any notes and documentation you have, then generate FAQs for sales teams, customers, and more.
Generate clear, concise UI copy
Help your customers help themselves by creating actionable error messages.
- Tooltip taking up too much real estate? Use our tooltip shortener template to keep things concise.
- Use our open-ended Ask Writer template to generate more specific content:
- Generate UI copy for a Teams settings page encouraging user to invite colleagues. List at least 3 possible answers.
- Generate a short email template for users who have been invited to join their company's Brickly account. Include a CTA convincing them to log in to their account.
- Generate 10 names for a feature which shares a real estate listing on social media.
These five use cases are only the beginning!
The 7 steps of a Writer power user
1) Pick the right template or craft a five-question prompt
- A template is a great choice when you’re generating highly structured content (like a press release, or a social media post).
- Using Ask Writer to compose a prompt from scratch is a good choice if you need to apply specific parameters, or reference a specific source URL (it can crawl the web!)
- Who - Who is the creator? Who is the audience?
- What - What form should the output take? How long should it be? What tone should it use? Is there a specific call to action or bit of content which Writer should use?
- Where - Where will your audience consume this content, i.e. TikTok, Facebook, a blog, etc?
- Why - Why does the audience need this content? What are you aiming to achieve with it?
- How - How should we structure the content? What should we reference to create the right content?
2) Generate new outputs if needed
3) Want more? Keep writing!
4) Use claim detection to check your work
5) Review suggestions to stay on-brand
6) Generate highlights to share on social media
7) Add magic links to improve SEO and keep users on your site
In the meantime, let us know if you need any help getting started by contacting our Support team.